How to register

To teach in an NT school, you must be registered with the Northern Territory Teacher Registration Board (TRB) and maintain that registration as long as you teach.

The TRB is a separate authority to the department and manages all teacher registrations in the Northern Territory.

You can apply for registration if you have the necessary qualifications and haven’t been disqualified from registration as a teacher by TRB or elsewhere.

Registration categories

  1. Full registration: a fully registered teacher is appropriately qualified, is a fit and proper person, has met the requirements for professional experience and currency of practice and has demonstrated competence to teach against the Professional Standards for Competent Teachers in the Northern Territory.
  2. Provisional registration: if you don’t have the necessary professional experience and currency of practice for full registration but are otherwise eligible, you’ll be granted provisional registration

Read more on NT TRB registration categories here.

Mutual recognition

If you are a teacher and currently registered in Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia, the Australian Capital Territory or New Zealand, you are eligible to apply for registration as a teacher in the NT under the mutual recognition principle.

Please note: mutual recognition does not exist with New South Wales.

Read more about mutual recognition here.