How to Apply
Want to apply to teach in the Northern Territory? Excellent!
The teacher recruitment process has five stages.
To apply for a teacher position in the Northern Territory you need to meet the following requirements:
- be registered with the Teacher Registration Board of the Northern Territory
- have a Northern Territory Northern Territory OCHRE card Working with Children Clearance
- for graduates completing initial teacher education (ITE) courses at Australian universities after 1 July 2016, provide proof you successfully completed the National Literacy and Numeracy Test
- provide copies of your teaching qualification certificate/s and transcripts
- have at least two referees—one that is a principal, assistant principal or equivalent. Your most recent employer will also be contacted.
If you are a graduate, referee reports are not required because your final practicum report is sufficient.
There are three ways a teacher can apply to teach in the Territory.
- Apply for an advertised vacancy:
Schools can decide to advertise vacancies for a variety of reasons. To identify positions currently advertised an applicant can go to the NT Government Jobs Website. To apply, register an account in eRecruit and complete the online application form.
- Join the recruitment pool:
a pool of teacher candidates that schools can access to find teachers suitable for their vacancies. To join, register an account in eRecruit , search for job vacancy number 17937, and complete the online application form.
- Contact a school directly:
if you want to work in a specific school, we encourage you to contact the school directly to express your interest. This can be done in person, via email or over the phone. Make sure your resume is current and ready to send, including referee details.
If you apply to join the recruitment pool, the Department of Education will complete a pre-assessment.
In the assessment, HR will check your application details and supporting documents and contact your referees.
If you are deemed eligible, you’ll get an email advising you’re now active in the recruitment pool.
Once you are active in the Recruitment Pool schools across the Northern Territory can use the system to target their recruitment and find teachers suitable for their vacancies.
If you have applied directly to a school, the school will wait until closure of the advertised vacancy before accessing all of the applications to conduct a merit selection process.
A school may contact you directly for further assessment, such as an interview or more referee checks.
NT Government selection decisions follow the merit principle, which says that the employment of a person must be based solely on the person’s suitability to perform the relevant duties in that workplace.
A person’s suitability is determined by considering their knowledge and skills, qualifications, experience and potential for future development.
When you apply for an advertised vacancy, schools will assess the merit of each candidate. Special measures apply to all advertised positions.
If your application is deemed suitable and successful, you will be notified and a contract will be prepared.
If you are unsuccessful at any stage you will be promptly notified.