Skip to main content

How to register

To teach in a Northern Territory (NT) school, you must have registration with the Teacher Registration Board of the Northern Territory (TRB) and maintain that registration as long as you teach.

The TRB is a regulatory authority that manages all teacher registrations in the NT. The TRB is separate to the Department of Education.

You can apply for registration if you have the necessary qualifications and have not previously been disqualified from registration as a teacher by TRB or elsewhere.

Registration categories

  1. Full registration: a fully registered teacher is appropriately qualified, is a fit and proper person, has met the requirements for professional experience and currency of practice and has demonstrated competence to teach against the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
  2. Provisional registration: if you do not have the necessary professional experience and currency of practice for full registration but are otherwise eligible, you will be granted provisional registration.

Read more on TRB registration categories.

Mutual recognition

If you are a teacher and currently registered in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia, the Australian Capital Territory or New Zealand, you are eligible to apply for registration as a teacher in the NT under the mutual recognition principle.

Read more about mutual recognition.